Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I am a Christian

I got this message from the 21st of June 2009 Bulletin from Church (Australian Ling Liang Church). Was written by Paster Andrew Maxwell. Really good reminder

"I Am A Christian"
What does it mean to be a christian? Hwere At church I am sure that most will be able to give a pretty clear and accurate description of what (or should I say who?) a Christian is. That is extremely important, because we need to know the definition in order to see if we fit the descriptio. If we don't, then we should make the needed adjustments, or we might proceed through life on the false assumption that we are OK with God, when we are not. Quite simply a Christian is one who has realized his sinfulness in the presence of Holy God, has understood that there is no way he can right his situation by himself, and has thrown himself fully on God's mercy to forgive him, based on what Christ did on the corss. By so doing, one is cleasned, forgiven and spiritually born into God's family. He supernaturally (there is no better way to say it) takes on the nature of Jesus Christ and becomes a 'little Christ', a follower of Christ, a christian. When a person says to someone else, outside of the context of the church, "i am a christian" what does that really mean? WE know what it means, but does the listener? They usually are totallly unfamiliar with "church speakl" so have only vague or no idea what words like 'sin', 'repentance', 'righteousness', 'holiness' 'baptism', 'gospel', 'salvation', (And a bucn of others) really mean. When we tell others that we are christians, we need to try to do it in words and ways that connect with things they really understand. Usually they have some unrealistic ideas of what it means to be a christian. Often they think you are saying "I am better than you". Of course, that is not the message we want them to get. Perhaps the following poem may help

"When I say I am a Christian"
When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"
I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride
I'm confessing that I stumble-needing God to be my guide

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all
I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it

When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge
I have no authority--I only know I'm loved


Copyright 1988 Carol Wimmer

NOTE TO SELF: remember to edit and include own extra views (look at 1 john and the verse list), and faith and deeds!! important. Also compile a note on leadership... using the existing resource sheets and own compiled verse list
ANother idea is to put up own bible studies... at least wont loose it... and can re edit it... only when there is time

No comments:

Post a Comment